Eid-ul-Fitr is celebrated by all Muslims around the world. Eid-ul-Fitr is the first day of the month of Shawwal. It comes at the end of Ramadan. It is a day of celebration and giving thanks to Allah Almighty. Most Muslims celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr for three days. On Eid-ul-Fitr people put on their best clothes and celebrate this special day.
Eid-ul-Fitr is a day of joy, acts of worship, thanksgiving to Allah Almighty, cooperation, solidarity, brotherhood, unity, and spiritual provision among Muslims. In this article we will look at some of the Sunnah acts to be performed on the day of Eid-ul-Fitr.
- Rise early in the morning
- Take a bath
- Wear the best clothes that you had
- Use perfume
- Eat dates or something sweet before leaving the house
- Engage in takbir(“Allahu Akbar”) from Fajr until the imam comes out for prayer.
- Go to the Eid prayer location early
- On Eid, we often congratulate each other with greetings such as ‘Eid Mubarak’.
- Follow different routes to Eid prayer. Jabir bin Abdullah narrated that: “On the Day of Eid the Prophet used to return after offering the Eid prayer through a way different from that by which He (SAW) went” (Bukhari).
- Perform Eid prayer as Eid salah must not be missed because it is a fundamental part of Eid festivities. Abdullah bin Umar narrated: “Allah’s Apostle (SAW) used to offer the prayer of Eid-ul-Adha and Eid-ul-Fitr and then deliver the Khutbah after the prayer.” (Bukhari)
- We should ensure that we have paid Zakat al-Fitr before the start of Eid prayer. This is compulsory for all members of our household and cannot be made up for if neglected. Ibn Umar (RA) narrated that: “Allah’s Messenger (SAW) would order paying Sadaqah al-Fitr before going to Salah on the day of Eid al-Fitr.” (Bukhari)
- It is also considered a good Islamic practice to visit one another and exchange gifts.
- Make lots of Istighfar and pray that Allah (SWT) may accept our fast, prayers, devotion, and also He may grant the Ummah glory and success.
- Remember the true spirit of Eid is reflected in our extreme generosity to the poor and the needy. So, try to be charitable as best as you can.
These were some Sunnah acts that one should perform on the blessed day of Eid-ul-Fitr. May Allah Almighty accepts our fasts and forgives us all. Ameen!